Saturday, August 15, 2009

The big three-five and other happy times



What a lovely birthday I had! Ron came home from a weeklong business trip just in time to be with us three ladies on my day. I tell you, I don't function at full power without my dear husband around, and neither do the girls. The girls and I made these itty bitty cupcakes that turned out perfectly imperfect... too much batter in the wee cups, and most of them spilled over. But no matter, because the lavender colored frosting we made to top them matched the lavender plant that a sweet friend of mine surprised me with. All morning, my siblings and Mom called to wish me a happy birthday, and a few dear friends that I don't have frequent contact with e-mailed me out of the blue. And, my sister-in-law sent a wonderful card with new photos of my beloved nephew.

T H A N K Y O U ! Each of you that took the time, you really filled me up.



See the pretty lavender? I'm smitten. And I *heart* the new and improved blue walls - but note to self: Self, please don't embark on big projects when your husband is out of town. You and your kids suffer because of them.

Recently, Amanda borrowed this library book about Helen Keller:


She deemed it one of the "best books of the world" and read it at least five times over. I jumped on her enthusiasm and borrowed another book about Helen Keller's teacher, Annie Sullivan:


It took us a month to get through, as we read only at bedtime each night. This book really cemented in both our minds the incredible resolve that Helen and Annie showed to overcome whatever obstacles that each dealt with. It gave us the opportunity to talk about how we want to proceed with our own lives. Amanda is busy spelling everything out using the ASL alphabet after reading the books. And she really enjoyed The Miracle Worker, Disney's remake of the story. It makes a big difference when learning can be tackled in multiple ways - through reading, doing, and watching.

Do you have any recommendations on which inspiring biography to tackle next?

And other happiness inducers: Our chrysalises have all revealed their breathtaking butterflies - we are proud of our five painted lady butterfly visitors. {The metamorphosis was amazing to behold}

10 comments:

Carol said...

Oh dear Heather, I have missed your birthday :-(
I hope you had a wonderful day and your gorgeous family spoilt you for the entire day.
Those little cupcakes are so cute, I don't know how you could eat them lol.
Birthday wishes xxx
Carol

Denise said...

Happy birthday my sweet friend. I am so glad that you day was wonderful. You totally deserve it.

{{hugs}}

Jeanne said...

Well, happy birthday to you! It sounds like you had a wonderful day. Love the lavender and those sweet looking cupcakes! May it be the start of a joyous year for you.

How wonderful to see your daughter embracing reading. I well remember being enthralled by Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan. I also thoroughly loved the Little House Books about Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Watching butterflies emerge is so fascinating. I'm glad you got to share that together as well. *Ü* TFS

Jen Wolff said...

Happy Birthday!! I am so glad you had a wonderful day!!!! Sending you cyberhugs!!!

Joanie said...

Happy, happy birthday Heather, dear... happy days will come to you all year. If I had a wish then it would be... a happy, happy birthday to you from me!

I didn't know we shared August birthdays! (Mine is the 16th, today!)

I am so glad to have your friendship. Thank you...
Hugs,
Joanie

Aja Abney said...

Happy belated birthday, Heather! I love those lavender cupcakes! Purple just makes everything better. You are such a blessing and I pray that this next year will be your closest ever to the Lord. Big hugs to you!

Kimberly White said...

Happy birthday my friend! (We are the same age you and me =)! Hope it was a wonderful day!
Kim

HannahM said...

Gorgeous pictures from your birthday! Happy Birthday!

janice said...

happy belated! :) those cupcakes look so yummy! it's amazing how you still look like you're in your 20's. :)

Kari said...

UGH ... I missed your birthday. Glad to know it was fabulous!!!

Template Design | Elque 2007