Monday, August 24, 2009

Back from vacation

We had fun. The weather was wonderful. Tax-free shopping was glorious. Food was so good that I overate myself into a gluttonous stupor one afternoon. But oh, what a way to go down! :) I'll be pouring over two 8 gigs memory cards' worth of photos this week - I am eager to share my photos of early morning low tide on the beach with you.

Now that most of the laundry is done and our lives are unpacked and unleashed back into the daily grind, my next quest is to compile some great recipes and ideas for my Amanda's lunch box before she heads off to school.

One thing I had Amanda try was this insalata caprese (stacked style), since I have a wealth of basil and tomatoes in my garden:



I love it. But Amanda? Not so much. Though she loved the tomato-basil-olive oil-salt-pepper taste combo, she didn't care for the fresh mozzarella.

If you have some tried and true recipes or lunchbox ideas, will you share them with me? I want her to really love her lunches.

***

And happy birthday to two very special people in my life: my childhood friend Julianne, who is again celebrating her 21st birthday (ahem), and my beloved nephew Elias, who just blew out two candles.

11 comments:

Jeanne said...

Welcome home! Can't wait to see some of your beautiful photos. That one of the lunch is terrific. Me, I would have loved the tomato and the mozzarella, but the pepper...not so much. LOL

Can't help you with lunch ideas as I have my girls pack their own. LOL They like a sandwich, a few chips and some fruit.

Gabi said...

Welcome home, Heather!
I don't like unpacking as well ;) I can't wait to see your photos and will be watching the comments for some yummy recipes and tips as well.

Patrik takes his hot lunches from home to school too.

Have a wonderful week!

xxxG.

Brenda said...

Welcome home!

Aja said...

Great photo! I love fresh mozzarella! Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I really appreciate your encouragement. Have a blessed week. :)

Kimberly White said...

So glad you had a wonderful time! The food looks delicious ... what a great idea to compile some ideas (at this moment I'm not thinking of any though!)
Kim

Joanie said...

So glad you had a fun vacation! About lunches... my daughter used to have a friend that brought tomatoes to school in her lunch and ate them like an apple! (with salt of course). There is always the shaped sandwich and little love note written on the napkin. what a fun time!

Unknown said...

Missed you all this week! Can't wait to hear about your trip! See you tomorrow.

Jen Wolff said...

Oh how I wish I could have vacationed this Summer!!!!!! Too crazy!!! Oh my yummy goodness!!!! Your dish looks heavenly!!! Almost too pretty to eat!!

Daniel said...

You just recently celebrated your 21st birthday as well *ahem* I like how my elders are still in their twenties. My boss keeps saying that he is only two years older than me even though he has a seventeen-year old son and fourteen-year old daughter. Vanity, vanity...

Hope to see you soon Noona!

janice said...

ooh...can't wait to see vacation pictures! :) is amanda ready for school? kaitlyn starts next monday and she is excited and i'm totally anxious! can't believe how quickly time has passed. *sigh*

HannahM said...

That looks so yummy! You are so creative. I want a lunchbox!!! I hope I can make sure Ella eats as well when she's old enough for lunch boxes.

Template Design | Elque 2007