Sunday, January 4, 2009

Only that which I can

So much to blog about... too much in fact. But rather than sweating the small stuff, I'll happily report what I can when I can. Deal? Deal. :)

...

Amanda and I made some yummy sea salt caramel hard candies - it's a fabulous combination. Amanda was SO happy for this activity. She's our resident Food Network enthusiast, rattling off its celebrities and signature dishes:
Sea salt caramel candies

Here they are, carefully packaged away to share:
packaged to go

And some photos from a typical day of homeschooling:
child at work

You see the piggy bank? That's there because she's learning how to count back money in Math, and we just finished up a lesson. She says she likes money {don't we all}. The stash of Multigrain Cheerios belongs to Abigail, her hush money when she is feeling squirrely before we're done with the activity at hand. Under the elephant card you can see Abigail's version of what Amanda's been doing - big sis' activities are very popular with the Abber-Stombers. (That's her nickname du jour)

Amanda's subject of choice, History, has us exploring the New World with Christopher Columbus:
Photobucket

(date stamp from Britt-ish Designs' Date Stamped Vol. 2)

They say the teacher learns more than the student. It's just been one grand adventure; we weather a few storms here and there to be rewarded with some amazing views of life.

13 comments:

Stefanie said...

A lovely blog post, thanks for sharing.
Please could you tell me where you got those beautiful date stamps?
(my email is eyeore@telkomsa.net)

Denise said...

Heather, I had forgotten that you were homeschooling.

I admire so much the dedication and determination it takes to homeschool.

I don't think I have that in me, although, if push came to shove, I hope I would find a way. Thankfully, for now, public school is working for us.

I love seeing what Amanda is learning. It is amazing what sponges children are.

Stefanie said...

Thanks for giving me the URL for the stamps, I have sucessfully downloaded them. I am seriously "joy"-ful now too. I appreciate you taking the time to give me the details, Thanks.

If you'd like a glimpse into my daily life my personal blog is www.semplydone.blogspot.com

Joanie said...

Heather,
It looks like you are having a wonderful time home schooling. What a blessing. I look forward to your post so keep doing "Only that which you can!"
{{Hugs}}

Carol said...

I love your everyday photos.

Hope you had a happy New Year and the upcoming year is all you want it to be.

Jen Wolff said...

I think I am living vicariously through you!!! I enjoy reading about your stay at home adventures and so envious that you get that precious time homeschooling Amanda! I am impressed with what she is learning!!! She is well above grade level!!! Way to go guys!!!

Lisa said...

Mmmmm...the caramels look yummy! Care to share the recipe? ;)

It's amazing to read about your homeschooling adventures. What a wonderful gift to your daughters.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you home-schooled! how awesome for your family! I always dreamed of being home but it has never come to pass for us! :( Enjoy every minute of it!!!!

Donna S. said...

I can't figure out when you sleep!
Recipe for the caramels!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!! those look amazing.
Happy New Year my friend... I hope to see you in person this year!

Gina said...

To be a mother and to homeschool your daughter at the same time.... I am speechless.

I hope you sent some cookies abroad, I am salivating as I am writing this.

Ann said...

great projects and I love the photo of the girls sledding. I haven't scrapbooked in ages. I need to get back to it. I posted some photos on my blog though...it's a start LOL. ~Ann

Jen Wolff said...

Back again Heather! I chose your blog to receive the Kreativ Blogger Award. It's purpose is to promote readeship of your blog. If you are interested in playing along, go to my family blog to follow the rules. Make sure you save the jpg. image to put on your blog, post a link to me and five other blogs you love.

Are you planning on goign to the Digital Scrap Experience in Provo?

Gina said...

can you become my home school teacher? heh

Template Design | Elque 2007