Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Generosity from abroad

This morning we returned from the gym to find some boxes at our door. Two we dutifully tucked under the tree for tomorrow's perusal. The other box was heavily beaten up, busted at the corners. This one was from South Korea - Auntie Gina! Apparently, Gina sent the box about a week ago, and it just reached us today. She included candies, stickers, trinkets, doll clothes, kids' books, even a flag that together represent a little bit of South Korea. She even sent some Minnie Mouse ears she got from the Korean Disneyland, Lotte World Korean equivalent of Wal-Mart, bwahahaha! (ETA: Auntie Gina just corrected me - and I thought she got it at Lotte World, {grin})

The LOOT

Amanda says thank you, Auntie Gina

A huge thank you, Gina! We love and miss you!

Amanda has recently begun reading and writing Korean, thanks to Sunday mornings in our church Korean school. I've really seen this as a huge stepping stone in shaping her self-concept. "I'm Korean and Chinese and American," she says, careful to punctuate each culture she embodies with pursed lips and furrowed brow.

It's also helped tremendously that Amanda and I have been exploring world geography. She's definitely got an eye for maps and facts. She is quite fortunate, too, to have uncles and aunts that send her postcards from various corners of the world and supplement her schoolwork with real experiences and personal photos. We just completed a segment on South America, and she now desires to explore the Andes Mountains. {Let those dreams soar, Amanda! Someday my dear, someday.}

Oh, I can't tell you how much I love being a mom.

I've been busy with getting the business up and running - what a fun adventure it's been. I have some new card designs up on the photography blog if you're interested in a peek.

11 comments:

Donna S. said...

I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday together. We are indeed so lucky to have such amazing children. I'm so glad I connected with you here online, and hope our paths cross in person in '09! Thanks for asking me to be part of Scrap Matters... it brings me back to the root of why I am doing reCREATE... and helps me stay focused on that task!

Jen Wolff said...

Merry Christmas Heather!! It seems as though we are on the same page in life these days. Except you are a SAHM and I aspire to be. It's nice to have a friend who I can relate to (you know, similar interests/endeavors). We are Superwomen!!! We can do anything!! Good luck with your business! I know you will be a huge success! Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas!!! Hugs!!
Jen

Carol said...

Amanda looks so gorgeous with those ears on!

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and a peaceful New Year.

Julianne said...

Awww how sweet! I didn't know Gina was in Korea? Ok, how cute is that Amanda is holding the Korean flag wearing the Mickey Mouse hat? How perfectly Korean-American. :-) Ok, HALF Korean-American! Hehe. Hope you guys had a good one yesterday! I miss you!

Kimberly White said...

Just popping in to wish you a Merry Christmas! Have a wonderful day my friend! Kim

Joanie said...

Your little ones are so, so cute. I love Amanda in the fuzzy Minnie Mouse ears, simply precious.

Anke said...

I love your pictures! Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you and yours!!!

Unknown said...

I think it's great that your children get to learn about their heritage in such a direct and active way.

Happy New Year!

Gina said...

HOORAY! My timing was perrrrfect! It actually only took a little over a week for the package to get there. Also, I actually got the Minnie Mouse ears from E-Mart, the American equivalent to Targert or Walmart. Hehe but Amanda doesn't have to know. I'm happy to see she enjoyed her little goodies. Happy new years, and I am thankful to have such wonderful people in my life! xoxo

Denise said...

I was looking at your photo of goodies, and I just had to laugh...I picked up some of these very same things when we were in Korean a few years ago.

I love watching the girls put the ham bok on the their barbie dolls, and I carry a tiny Korean girl in her wedding garb on my key chain.

And I though Lotte World was awesome!

HannahM said...

Hi Heather! Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's great to see what you've been up to and I love seeing your girls' pictures! I was inspired to get into scrapbooking through your blog. I'm still learning :)

And yes, we are for sure in the midwest now..haha

Template Design | Elque 2007