Friday, April 11, 2008

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y, Saturday! Wee hours of Saturday morning -

Identity
Amanda and I were watching Reading Rainbow today when we saw a clip about a Native American painter. Amanda turned to me with scrunched nose and said, "Mom, he looks weird." "Tell me why you think that, Amanda," I encouraged. She said, "Well, he looks Chinese." Struggling to stifle my giggle, I gently reminded her that she is half-Chinese. After wrestling with that reality for a moment, she offered, "I know that. But women and girls and my Daddy that are Chinese aren't weird. Just him."

Some people might be horrified with the conversation above, but I hope you'll see it for what it is. It's a fascinating honor to peek into Amanda's mind as she develops a more sophisticated system of organization and categorization. Anyone or anything that doesn't fit neatly into current categories most often become filed as "weird", to child and adult alike.... This opportunity afforded us the chance to talk about the similarities between the painter and Chinese people, and our hybrid Chinese-Korean family for that matter, as well as the differences. If you have preschoolers, this age is ripe with opportunities to explore "same" and "different" in an authentic, productive manner. Here's a nice article to reference for more information on this topic.

The miscellaneous that makes life LIFE
Ron was out of town on a business trip, so I had the pleasure (ha!) of playing single parent for several days. I am gripped at the heart by how great a role Ron plays in this family's well-being. It is really nice to be walking alongside a man of deep convictions. Sigh...we're so glad he's back!

During his absence, the girls and I had blueberry pancakes, bacon, eggs and juice for dinner one night. Amanda thought it was the coolest thing in the world as she got to prepare the pancakes herself - the recipe is great, and very simple. Do let me know if you try it out!

Abigail is now walking... on her knees. She does that whenever possible, leaving one to wonder if she's just an unnaturally short 13-month-old with an interesting swagger. You just have to laugh at how different children are. Abby can now climb up AND slide down our stairs without blinking, and she points at everything. Pointing Girl will still need to "use your words" - we always say that to her, so now she points to her cup and says, "Abeejo joo." (translation: Abigail wants juice.) At any given time, you can find Amanda squeezing Abigail's hand really hard with clenched teeth, saying, "Oh these little sister dimple hands are so cute!" Then it usually ends with Amanda crying because Abby has socked her in the face with a cute little sister dimple hand.

Amanda has her first piano recital in the morning! We're entranced by the music she infuses into our home. I hope she enjoys the moment and not get stage fright.

I may have overworked myself during my exercise class, and woke up with a barely functioning back - inconvenient recurring injury. I will need to tone down my Type-A personality exercise regimen!

One of my layouts was featured on the Creating Keepsakes Scrapbooking Magazine blog, under the link "Adorable outfit and layout" - wow! Thanks for letting me know about it, Tez and Michelle!

Did anybody say layouts?




(Click to enlarge images)

For layout credits, follow this link.

13 comments:

Jeanne said...

Awwww, Heather! I love your post! Love that you had a perfect opening for a teachable moment. Love that your daughter was fine with making her innocent comment.

Congrats on being featured on the CK Blog! That's awesome.

And I love, LOVE, LOVE all your layouts. I'm so glad you are posting to your blog, because I cannot keep up with our Gallery at all. It's overwelming and awe inspiring how fast it's growing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You are SO talented! I get inspiration from your creations!

Carol said...

Heather your layouts are amazing, I just love your style.

Found the conversation with Amanda very cute. Fletcher doesn't know many darked skinned people at all so if he saw someone who wasn't typically anglo-saxon in appearance he would say they looked like Carlos (a little boy from his preschool) or if they were darked skinned and bald they looked like Mace (mace windo from Star Wars who was Samuel L Jackson). I have always thought it was cute how he referred them back to people he " knew".

Jen Wolff said...

Your conversation with Amanda reminds of one with Jared when he was four.He attended a special education preschool as he was diagnosed at 2 1/2 with a severe delay of language (so glad we caught it early, not an issue anymore). He would ride this little bus to and from school everyday. He had a good friend named James who is black who rode the bus with him. One day in the car he announced "Mommy, James is the color of chocolate. I love James!" It was so innocent and sweet. I myself am half Mexican and my dad is very deep reddish brown skin. I had asked him if there was anyone else he loved with chocolate skin. He thought and I said "Well what about Papa?" He said "Oh, yeah! I love him too!"

I can so relate to Abigail and using nonverbal communication. Olivia has these older brothers who do everything for her, so she figures why talk when she can point or grab them by the hand and drag them. Then she'll bust out in full sentences. She is my stubborn child!

Lovin' your LO's! Gorgeous as always!!!

Unknown said...

Digi Scrappin, CTs, Digi Classes, Single Mom-hood AND exercising too?! You are superwoman!!! Congrats on the CKMB highlight - Saw it over there and was so proud of ya!

Love the conversation with Amanda! So much fun seeing everything through their eyes and seeing them become the awesome people they are.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Hedder, please lay off the A personality workout...it does wonders on the back. My chiro just told me I need to walk more and bend less because of my back strain! Nice huh. Well, your little Amanda Panda is a great girl for seeking the differences in people and attempting to classify it. Thomas, on the other hand, is much like me and doesn't register differences. Enjoy time together and go for walks instead of heavy hitting workout.

As for the layout...you ROCK!

Tezra Williams said...

Visiting your blog is like entering the mind of a creative genius. Your work is so inspiring to me!

Stacey said...

Hi Heather!!! Glad to hear from you - I've been so darned busy!! DS was in his all-school musical (The King & I)which took over the last three weeks of our lives! Haven't even started DID yet. Sigh. LOve hyour next post - notes to self - I need to make a set for myself, lol!

Anonymous said...

Exercise, Scrappy, taking care of two little ones (by yourself) and work...akkkkk!! How do you do it!?!

Thanks for the very sweet note. I am always really wowed by your LOs. you are going places that's for sure. Thanks for letting me play in the same playground!

Doris

Kimberly White said...

Your layouts are gorgeous Heather! And so proud of you for getting some recognition! You go girl! Thanks for sharing about your girls ... it is amazing to get a glimpse into a child's mind! Hope your back is feeling better and that you are having a wonderful wonderful week! Kim

Dawn said...

I love your work and your parenting skills!!
dewnie

joscelyne cutchens said...

I love all your layouts, beautiful! :) and you are so right about discussions and teaching opportunities! :)

joscelyne cutchens said...

OH, and I love your header. soo pretty!

Ann said...

This is a great post. wonderful information on same and different. I hooked my DIL up with it. Her oldest son is 4.

Template Design | Elque 2007