Thursday, February 14, 2008

Art for very young children

I have another budding Art Princess on my hands. Abigail wants to do everything Amanda does, and that means lil' sis is disrupting the big sis' art in progress. There's gotta be something for me, Abigail's thinking as Amanda yells for me to remove the pesky lil' sis. This is where the early childhood education steps in. Drum roll please! Abigail, you too can draw!

Our Abby is not quite a year old, so her fine motor capabilities are not well developed. To aid her in this department, I taped the corners of the paper down on the table:


This is a grand opportunity to add language development (pre-reading, writing) to this simple activity. As I wrote down her name and the date, I named out loud all the letters I wrote - "A, B, I, G, A, I, L. And today is January 23, 2008" (I did this activity last month). This teaches that the symbols I write actually have meaning:


It's okay if your child wants nothing but to tear the paper off.

This is simply an introduction. Don't be afraid of scribbles on the table... the scribbles of today are your child's future Picasso pieces and Pulitzer prize winning writings:


Let your child have fun! Abigail thought she was absolutely cool now that she was like Unni (big sis in Korean):


(click all photos for larger images)

Be the best Abigail you were meant to be, my sweet little girl!

And may your child be the person that God meant him to be, fulfilling all potential, exploring all worlds of learning.

12 comments:

All That Chit Chat said...

These photos are adorable!

All That Chit Chat said...

About getting published. Go to all of the website of your favorite magazines and look for a link called "submissions" or "submission guidelines". Sometimes there's a form to fill out and sometimes they ask you to email them. They all have different requirements re: the info they want you to include. Try Somerset Memories, Creative TECHnique and Scrapbook Trends. I've have good results with all of them. Let me know if you have more questions! Keep me posted.

Lisa Habisreutinger said...

I don't think those pics could be any cuter!

Kari said...

These are adorable pictures and an extremely valuable lesson to all of us parents! I am all about letting them go for it with crayons from a very early age - priceless works of art! Guess that's the elementary ed in me, too ;)

Tezra Williams said...

Heather, Your photos are exquisite! Thank you so much for sharing your life and stories with us!

Stacey said...

Heather, your blog is wonderful!! Congrats on designing for Lusa H - awesome!! I'll stop by often!!

Jen Wolff said...

Thanks for sharing what you do with your girls!! I see a future LO of yours emerging:0).Something so simple is really important!! It's so sad to me when I start the school year and I have Kindergartners who have never had these experiences. Congrats on your 2nd CT team!!Super exciting! And oh, the freebies!!! Lucky Duck!

Anonymous said...

Hedder! I am so proud of you sharing this small insight with children's lives. It is such a wonderful gift to introduce art at such a young age. I see the surprise in my employer's eyes (and voice) when I do this at work. :) Keep up the great work! I miss you and your family horribly! See you on the flip side!
Nicci

Mystic Faery said...

she is getting so big!
Very Cute!

I hope you have a great weekend.
Of course I will post your creations! :)

TTYS

Unknown said...

Your kids are soo adorable and cute Heather! Its lovely to see their photos! They have inherited your fantastic artistic talent!

Anonymous said...

aw!!! such cuties! :)

Chrystal said...

These pics are soooo adorable!

Template Design | Elque 2007