Saturday, May 15, 2010

Life gave me lemons

But not in the way you'd think.

Julianne loves me

Like in fresh-off-the-tree Meyer lemons from California. One of my dearest friends that I've known for 25+ years scoured the Bay Area to pacify this pregnant craving of mine. Picture it: She and her sweet husband get off the plane and almost immediately hand me this Ziploc bag full of sunshine. Oh, I could've cried. If you've never tried lemonade with fresh lemons... run, don't walk, to get your hands on them. Store bought lemons are not even comparable, actually. They have a vibrant, flowery undertone to them that's hard to embody in words. My hands smelled heavenly for hours after making the lemonade. And boy did I make my family ration it!

Yum. For the lemonade recipe (via allrecipes.com):

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups white sugar
8 cups water
1 1/2 cups lemon juice

Directions
1.In a small saucepan, combine sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Allow to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until chilled.
2.Remove seeds from lemon juice, but leave pulp. In pitcher, stir together chilled syrup, lemon juice and remaining 7 cups water.


Heather's revisions:
Since Meyer lemons have a sweeter, less tart flavor to them, I opted to go for 1-1/4 cups white sugar and a dollop of honey instead, and it was still a bit sweet for my taste. Next time, I'll try either raw sugar, or all honey.

Julianne, thank you from the depths of my heart! Perhaps you'll be back for a marathon or two, wink wink? At least to be lavished with compliments from a certain seven and three-year-old? To quote Abigail: "Suyon Emo (Aunt Julianne) wif the pwetty face gived me a pwesent."

11 comments:

Jeanne said...

I've never heard of that type of lemon, but that picture of lemonade sure looks delicious. What a wonderful friend to help you with your craving! We all need friends like that. *Ü*

Hope the remainder of your pregnancy goes smoothly!

sunghee said...

wow~ look at that! my son has been asking to make fresh lemonade and I kept telling him, lemonade comes from powder. Haha. I guess I have to tell him we need to go california to make the fresh lemonade. thanks for the recipe!
Few more weeks till the craving goes away and sleepless nights start, right! =) TAke care!

Kimberly White said...

hooray for having your craving satisfied!

Lisa said...

Mmmm...sounds yummy!

I hope you enjoy the rest of your pregnancy, Heather, and that your cravings continue to be satisfied. :) Getting some good tummy pix?

Could you email me when you get a chance? I have a couple questions for you.

digitaldesignsbylisa AT gmail DOT com

Thanks!

Tezra Williams said...

Oh my word I peel meyer lemons and eat them like oranges ~ they are SOOOO good. i have a baby tree in the back but it hasn't given me any fruit :(

When's the due date? Hope you're doing well my friend!

I have an exciting CT announcement tomorrow :)

Anke said...

that just sounds heavenly! I need a friend in CA to get me some of those :) I hope everything is well with you!

Angela2932 said...

Mmmmmm! This is making me practically drool, just thinking about it. I like your modifications, and although it sounds wrong to say it, I hope life gives you more lemonade!

Tezra said...

Anything new girlfriend? Patiently stalking your blog. Thinking of you!

Unknown said...

My mouth is watering Heather! I'm getting excited to hear when your "little peanut" is born!

janice said...

time for an update!!! :)

Julianne said...

I'm so late in commenting... I love this post!! I love you so much my oldest friend!!!!!!! :-)

Template Design | Elque 2007