Tuesday, August 4, 2009

What we've been up to

Some of you may visit my blog because of my digital and hybrid scrapbooking activities, and you're wondering where they've gone lately. I've put them aside for a while to focus on being with my little ones. One of them will be scooting off to second grade in a few weeks, and we're in a busy frenzy making some final summer memories together before ushering in the new school year.

Amanda was a Cloverbud this year in a local 4-H chapter. No, she didn't do any projects that involved livestock or farming, but she did get to enter her needlepoint projects and a cooking project.




I've been to the fair for several years, but until you have a child personally involved, it doesn't really come alive! The entire event was extremely impressive. Some of the greatest talents exhibited the fruits of their labor. One of our favorite exhibits was the rabbits! Look how absolutely adorable this one is:


Whenever I think of the fair, I think of extreme heat. This fair was no different with 100 degree temperatures the whole week. Amanda ran through the sprinklers courtesy of the local fire department:


I heard from a friend of mine that it was so hot that some of the rabbits died during the fair exhibition. Apparently, their owners didn't do enough to keep them cool. How sad.

We've been enjoying our vegetable garden's bounty, taking our snow peas, green beans, and zucchini and making drool-inducing stir fries with them. While we were harvesting our veggies the other day, a little friend dropped by:


The girls got tired of working, so they tumbled into a tickle fest in the grass. Of course the crazy photog mom grabbed the camera.


And thanks to friends who've shared their overflow, we have canned our own apricot jam for the first time ever (which was surprisingly easy), as well as make fresh cherry cobbler.




All in all, wonderful days spent well. I hope I can get back to some of the deferred hobbies soon, but most times, I really don't miss them so much. I guess it's because my favorite hobby I continue to nurture through my photography business.
Take a peek at my Photo Artistry blog if you get a chance:

7 comments:

Denise said...

well...you may not miss your hobbies...but your hobbies sure miss you! at least those of us who do them with you.

I love seeing you doing so well and enjoying your choices. your girls area treasure.

Jen Wolff said...

Wow!! You have been busy!!!! Is Amanda skipping a grade??? If so, I am not surprised. Thanks for sharing what you've been up to. I've missed you in cyberspace!Sooooo, are you planning on going to DSE??? Inquiring minds (me) want to know.

Kari said...

I agree with Denise and Jen ... you are missed terribly!!! That being said, I am delighted to hear that you are capturing the JOY with your little ones :) Enjoy every moment but don't forget about us, okay? One day I'll update my blog .... Love you!!

Jeanne said...

What a wonderful summer you are enjoying! Thanks SO much for the update. Enjoy your lovelies while you can, we'll be here when/if you come back to your hobbies.

Hugs!

Joanie said...

Heather, Now you're a girl who has her priorities right! You will never regret these golden hours with your children... all the crafts and hobbies will wait patiently for you until you are in a different season! I love this post.
I was in 4-H growing up... what a marvelous organization! That is where I learned to be a seamstress (one of my passions).
Thank you for this glimpse of you precious family!
Hugs,
Joanie

Angie Revels said...

So amazing to think of Amanda starting second grade. Matthew is going into 1st and very excited. I hear you on enjoying the fun days with the kids.Take care

Unknown said...

Well, I think it's great that you have your priorities straight. There's nothing more important than being with the fam!

That last photo is so great. I'm awed by your abilities.

Template Design | Elque 2007