Friday, October 10, 2008

Amanda the writer/composer

A few months ago, we had bought a computer that didn't work out for our needs. So the plan was that we'd drive home after church and return the computer. We'd driven separate cars, so each parent took a child. Well, I thought Ron said we were to meet at the store, so I happily booked it down to the store and waited in the parking lot. Then I got a worried phone call from Amanda asking, "Mommy, where in the world are you?!?" {Hi, my name is Heather, and I have listening issues.} I went back home then.

That evening, Amanda breathlessly dropped this paper into my lap:

Photobucket

As you can see, it was borne out of our computer returning event. We laughed a lot when she sat at the piano and played her piece. I especially like "dooet".


A few days ago, she wrote this note to her friend Brooke, who's been out of town for a few months:

Photobucket

Translation - Dear Brooke, gymnastics isn't as fun without you. P.S. Emma is in class.

They're all buddies from her gymnastics class. Waving to Julie here - hi! Tell the kids we miss them! Hurry back soon.

...

Today I'm in an especially reflective mood... for those of you that didn't know, Amanda is being homeschooled this year. I'm thinking about some of the incredible highs we've had when things click, and some not-so-sharable lows when they don't. But overall, homeschooling has helped me fully own up to the fact that regardless of who is teaching my daughters, Ron and I will always be the first and last teachers in their lives. Pretty heavy stuff. The joy of learning is so sacred - is it possible we can do our girls justice?

Having been an educator of other people's children for over a decade, it's easy to get stuck in a mode, spouting off maxims and formulating education plans with relative ease. But when it's my own kids, WHOA. The stage fright is extreme. Here is where homeschooling has realigned my thinking again. When it comes down to it, children are created by God to learn, so long as their basic needs are met. And boy, has Amanda been teaching me that. The key is whether I am providing a nurturing environment that lets Amanda's God given gifts shine, OR if I'm forcing my will, my ideals, myself onto her. That isn't to say I shouldn't equip her with morals and standards... it's just easy to get in the way of something so natural.

Always hopeful that God fills in the gaps. :)

8 comments:

Brenda said...

Isn't it interesting to see how God uses this adventure of homeschooling to teach us as much as we are "teaching" our children. Who knew I had so much to learn : )?

And the composition and the letter to Brooke are precious and priceless.

Have a great day, my friend!

Anonymous said...

Brooke is grinning from ear to ear after seeing Amanda's note! We are so blessed to have such amazing friends. Thank you for making us feel special! I have homeschooled for 7+ years now and I am still learning new things everyday. What a blessing to learn it right along with them!

Amanda your composition is amazing! You are so talented. We can't wait to hear you play us a song on the piano!
Brooke is counting the days to being back in gymnastics with you and Emma.

See you soon!

Anke said...

and a composer was born!!! That is just too adorable! Those are the things that you have to hold on to forever.

Gina said...

amanda is adorable as it is, but the things she can do makes her 10x cuter. oh i love that little booger.

high five to being an awesome teacher.... now understand, completely y -__- haha

Julianne said...

Amanda is so cute! That kinda reminds me of that one song we try to write in high school. Amanda is much more creative than us! I had no idea you were homeschooling this year? WOW. I think that is awesome. If I had a patience, I'd want to do that to our unborn child one day. But no worries, this gal ain't popping out kids anytime soon. :-)

Krista said...

WOW what a little composer! Love all the notes and lyrics! I see a scrapbook page:) Just popping over to say hi!

Jen Wolff said...

Okay, your daughter is brilliant! I just love phonetic writing!!! It cracks me up!! I'd be doing backflips if had a kindergartner writing like that let alone composing music! What a treasure these little notes are! Heather, you and Amanda should be proud of yourselves! You have obviously an amazing teacher and she is obviously an amazing learner! Way to go both of you! Hugs!

Tonya Staab said...

Wow, what an absolutely beautiful blog you have here. I'll be back ... a lot :)

You have such a talented and beautiful child.

I'm just about to pull my eldest out of traditional school to homeschool him. I'm a little nervous and we aren't sure what we will be doing once the twins get to school age.

Thank you for stopping by my Munchkins and Mayhem blog.

Template Design | Elque 2007