Sunday, July 20, 2008

Big sister Amanda


This is the "fortune" that Amanda received from our Friday night meal. It marks the first time we heard her read off the entire message without asking for help. In astonishment I looked up from scarfing down my own fortune cookie, studying her winsome eyes. The funny thing is, I don't think I've really stopped to see this sweet gem of a girl in her entirety in a long time.

Is this invisibility the unnecessary price a little girl pays when she is a big sister?


This sweet girl with the broad, earnest smile is a pretty terrific big sister.


She loves sitting in the wagon with Abigail, watching the world together...


and leads her to endless adventures.

The problem is, she is too good at being the big sister. She even likes to act the part of a personal assistant at times, and a part-time nanny. She wants to write out the shopping list, and reads off the prices of products while grocery shopping. And she loves almost all the things I love. To this stay-at-home mom that sometimes lacks adult company, she is often times a good girlfriend!

I myself am the oldest. Of four children. And yet I often forget the weight of being the oldest. She is only five years old, remember? Let her be a child.

Note to self: parent with PURPOSE. Don't let the teachable, nurturable moments slip through the fingers because of self-serving reasons. Don't forget how precious this job is. And don't forget how precious your sweet eldest daughter is.

8 comments:

Brenda said...

This is really a beautiful reflection...and a good reminder for me.

Jen Wolff said...

Stunning photos Heather!!! What an amazing young lady she is turning out to be!!

Carol said...

Heather your photos of Amanda are so beautiful. Thankyou for once again filling my mind with thoughts.

Anonymous said...

aww...amanda is just so adorable! :) you are so blessed to have such a sweet girl and abigail is so lucky to have such a great big sis!

Donna S. said...

Your photes are awesome...and your journaling even better if that is possible!

Anke said...

both your girls are so adorable. My oldest is a little mother herself (I should say boss more than mother) It must be tough on them in some way. I agree they need to be children first. I enjoy your wisdom!

Tezra Williams said...

Heather,
Those are PRECIOUS photos of the two of them. SIGH . . . sweet siblings :)
Tez

April Dawn said...

Hmmmm...sounds like someone is just like her Mama!! Great when you remember to take those moments to SEE your children for the precious jewels that they are!!

Template Design | Elque 2007