Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A staple in our home

Forget the no-carb craze. This family loves carbs - bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. Mmmm, my mouth is watering.

Amanda and I especially love Jojos. I bet you'll get a kick out of how easy it is to make:



Ron's Famous Jojo Potatoes


1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Quarter potatoes lengthwise, then halve the pieces. Here I used Idaho potatoes, but any kind in your pantry will do. I'm going to try this with sweet potatoes some day.


2. Pull out the seasoning salt, extra virgin olive oil, and paprika. (The paprika has remnants of a previous flour fiasco)


3. Roll the potato wedges in the extra virgin olive oil.


4. Lightly cover the wedges with paprika and seasoning salt, then line them up in a glass casserole dish. Or on a cookie sheet lined with foil, which I have yet to try. Pop the dish in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes, depending on how crispy you want the Jojos. My family likes them with some crunch.


5. Take out of the oven, let them cool for five minutes.

We have them with a healthy serving of our favorite ketchup, Heinz Organic (it is free of high fructose corn syrup and, yes, organic). I purposely did not specify how many potatoes to use, because you can make as much or as little as you want.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Cheri said...

Sounds delicious! We'll definitely try those with sweet potatoes:) My 5 yr old slurps sweet potatoes like they are candy (no complaints here!)

Cheri said...

2 comments in a row from me:) I don't know your email, so will reply here to your comment on my blog: I'll blog about this sometime, but I LOVE Roomba! It seems to do a great job, even with dog hair, and all you have to do is press the on button and leave it alone (or 2 5 extra seconds and set up its "lighthouses" to tell it where not to go, ie. the LEGO area of the living room.

Sweet potatoes: I am lucky in that Christopher adores a plain old baked sweet potato with a bit of melted butter. I just stick the potatoes in the microwave with a loose cover on top of the plate to hold in the steam. I leave them wet from washing to provide just a little bit of steaming water, and microwave until done. Then slit open and mash with some butter. C will eat a whole medium size potato! M on the other hand, won't touch them with a 10 foot pole...we have high hopes that someday the vegetable light will come on there...

Anke said...

boy, Heather, that sounds inviting. Is that just a particular kind of potato? Maybe I'll make that for dinner! Thanks for the inspiration

Carol said...

mmm you are making me hungry!

Lucy Mills said...

My two main comfort foods are toast and mashed potatoes. No carbs would be depressing for me!!

Kimberly White said...

They look delicious! I make a version of these mtself! And we love carbs too! Hope you are having a great day! Kim

Nata said...

i can see ron passed on his flying super powers onto abby and amanda! nice captures and i like the watermark! creative!

as for baking, ovens are rarely used in japan so i bought a special microwave that can bake but it sucks in so much electricity it might be cheaper to go to the store and by it there =P.

Template Design | Elque 2007