Wednesday, January 30, 2008

DIY sensory table for children

I'm really glad that I had the opportunity to teach in early childhood programs, because I amassed a good stash of ideas for my own children. :)

One such idea is this sensory table Ron and I made:


(click for larger image)

What is it?
It's a water/sand/multi-media table. It's extremely versatile, promoting science and math skills, as well as supporting hand-eye coordination. How, you ask? Let me give you some ideas of activities:

1. Freeze colored water in milk cartons or ice cube trays and put them in water. Children experience the mixing of colors, as well as ice melting. (pictured above)

2. Put measuring cups, funnels, floating toys, sea animal figurines to add complexity to their water play.

3. During the fall, add leaves to the dish pans.

4. Add sand into the dish pans and bury dinosaurs in them for children to dig out.

5. Don't like to clean up sand? Add rice or bird seed to the table.

6. You can put soapy water in the dish pans and put baby dolls in them so kids can bathe their babies.

7. Add paper and scissors for a cutting station (requires very close supervision)

You see? The possibilities are infinite. It's extra portable (read: light) so you can have it indoors during colder months.

What materials do you need to make the table?
PVC pipe, fittings, dish pans, PVC glue. I purchased the pans at Wal-Mart for under $2 apiece, and the other materials at the Home Depot. Total cost: under $60. And this depends on how many dish pans you want to add - the pictured table has four pans and allows up to eight children to play at once. You can make it two pans long, or ten pans long if you wish.

Once you cut the pipes to size, it's like putting a puzzle together.








(click for larger images)

If you'd like directions, let me know.

40 comments:

Angela2932 said...

You and Ron are so creative! Isn't parenting fun??!!!! It's a way of revisiting the best of childhood. . .

Becky said...

Heather, thanks for stopping by my blog! I am loving Jessica's class! Your layouts are great and my all time favorite so far is that first one you did for week one. What a sweet photo, it just caught my eye in the gallery. (to answer your question, I only did ModPodge under the photos, not on top...can't wait to see your...and of course you may link over..thanks for asking!) :)

Jen Wolff said...

I so could use the instructions for this Heather! I am constantly looking for activities for my Kindergartners (and my own personal kiddies). What I love about it is it's cheap.

Kari said...

This is totally awesome!!! I'd love to make one for my kiddos to play outside since they can be outside almost year round. They'd love something like this!!!

Jackie said...

Oh this is cool..going to send the link to my daughter who has an autistic son who has sensory issues :) maybe something like this would be good for him

Gluck Child Care said...

This is awesome. Can you send me directions/dimensions?

Thanks!!!

wyosplitsecond said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi! Could you please forward your plans / instructions?



Thank you!!

mel said...

This is exactly what I have been looking for. Can you please forward me your instructions. Thank you in advance.

Unknown said...

I love this! could you send me all the measurements please?

Unknown said...

could you please send me the measurements and plans? I will be happy to pay.

Anonymous said...

I would love this in my pre k classroom could you please email me the directions? Thank you. chastity.greene@aol.com

Little Rascal's said...

THis is great! I would LOVE the directions to make for my in home preschool. soo39bee@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Wow this is awesome we just made a diy pvc pipe pocket chart stand and i can't wait to do this one! Can you please send me the measurements at marluvsol@gmail.com this will be great in our home school room!

Anonymous said...

could i please have instructions and measurements please, thanks

Unknown said...

You still giving instructions? I'd love them!

Ariel Angelique said...

I, too, would love instructions on this project!
Thanks!

Unknown said...

Awesome take on a sensory table! I would love the instructions. Thanks!

Tevan said...

This will be perfect for my special needs kindergarten classroom. Could I have the instructions for this please? tevanlyn@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

Please send me the instructions on how to make. I would love to make one for my prek classroom and play therapy room. mimisl469@gmail.com

micleepic said...

Love this! Directions please!! picinichml@yahoo.com4393

Unknown said...

I'd love directions for the table as well please!!! my email is morzrihen@gmail.com
Thank you!!!

Unknown said...

I love making things with PVC pipe! This is perfect for my grand daughter. Could you please send me instructions? ejcappon@gmail.com
Thank you!
Beth

Anonymous said...

Could you please send me the directions? nicoleswanfeld@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Would you please send me the directions and measurements? Perfect for my classroom!

wishuponabag@gmail.com

Thank you!

Unknown said...

Would you please send me the directions and measurements? Perfect for my classroom!

wishuponabag@gmail.com

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Would you please send me directions for this table? This is so great!

mwatt2t@gmail.com

Thank you!

Unknown said...

I would love to make this for my special education kindergarten class! Great way to make sure there's no fighting over the materials! Please send me the directions! juliewebb823@gmail.com

ilittlemanw said...

Please send list of materials used on this project plus measurement, thank you.

Bubba said...

I would like to get the directions and dimensions. This looks like a great project.. Thanks in advance

Bubba said...

I would like to get the directions and dimensions. This looks like a great project.. Thanks in advance

Unknown said...

Could I get directions? chari.brianne.hatch@gmail.com thanks
Also where did you get the containers and what size are they?

Anonymous said...

Do you still have instructions for this table layout?

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to get the instructions emailed to me at mxprincess776@gmail.com please. I'm wanting to make a couple

Unknown said...

I am not sure if you still look at this but I'd love instructions for this though I'd only like to do two. My email is kpodlusky@gmail.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs.LeDuc said...

I love it and could you send the instruction to build it...using it in Preschool..

Anonymous said...

Love this ideal and the results. I am very interested on receiving your directions on this sensory table.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Can you please send me your instructions?

Template Design | Elque 2007