Thursday, November 6, 2008

A cool gift idea -

I am the hybrid editor and contributor for the ScrapMatters Newsletter, and last month, I got a chance to share a project I think would make a great Christmas gift (or for any occasion, for that matter).

Andilynn Designs' Flora Brushes are so lovely - they screamed for something more than to be used on a normal digital layout. So, I decided to embellish this old turtleneck my daughter had in her closet:

Photobucket

You can actually embellish textile, really. On bags, blankets, you name it.

Here are some supplies you'll need:
Photobucket

Open an 8.5"x11" document in Photoshop and place an image of choice. I offset the brush to the right:
Photobucket

You'll be printing the above image on the paper side of freezer paper. The easiest way to do this is to cut a piece of freezer paper 8.5"x11" and adhere it to a regular piece of paper. Use double-sided tape on the WAXY side.
Photobucket

Once the design is printed on the freezer paper, you will cut it out using your Xacto knife. My design was very intricate, so it took me forever:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Don't forget to keep the negative space pieces. Because my pieces were tiny, I collected them in this cup and numbered each piece:
Photobucket

Now iron the freezer paper onto your garment. Do you see where I noted the placement of the negative pieces?
Photobucket

Photobucket

Place a piece of freezer paper under the place you will be painting, then lightly load your brush and stipple the area (If you add textile medium to your acrylic paint, I hear the design will last through many more wash cycles without fading):
Photobucket

Peel off the freezer paper design once the paint is dry:
Photobucket

And voila, you're done:
Photobucket

Photobucket

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The shirt is so adorable! What a great gift idea or just to jazz up a plain shirt! You have endless talents!

Mrs. Umina said...

That turned out gorgeous!! I can't believe the patience you had to cut that design out. Amazing work!

Kimberly White said...

that is so pretty! What a great idea Heather!
Kim

Brenda said...

OK, I intended to comment on this project when I first read it, but didn't get it done. How do you find time to do it all--cutting out that design must have taken hours! But the end result is beautiful. Again, I'm in absolute awe of you...

Joanie said...

Oh My! You are so creative! I love this shirt. It is darling! What a lot of work!! Crazy the things we do.

I came over to you blog because I noticed you were featured on Gallery Standouts! You do the cutest pages.
{{Hugs}}
Joanie

irishkathy said...

What a great idea - thanks so much. I have a couple of tops that have a stain or two on them and now I can salvage them from the "use for painting" box and wear them again!
Yours is so pretty - and the time...

Template Design | Elque 2007